Friday 9 August 2013

Things I have been reading

I was recently given a copy of the book Real Weight Loss by Dr Doug Sellman and he devised a five-point strategy - take control, eat well, enjoy life, get moving, persist.

Some of the main points I learnt from the book was the following:

- the answer lies in a permanent change in lifestyle
- arrange to hit rock bottom before rock bottom hits you
- tips for eating less: take small mouthfuls, one small mouthful at a time (don't start the next one until you have finished the other), chew, put your food down between mouthfuls, concentrate on the flavour, don't eat all your food.
- don't live to eat, eat to live!
- don't feel deprived when eating
- be prepared to work hard to be a better person to be genuinely happy

There were several quotes that were included that I wanted to remember:

It is not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves. Edmund Hillary (1919-208)

The best years of your life are the ones in which you decide your problems are your own. You do not blame them on your mother, the ecology or the president. You realise that you control your own destiny. Albert Ellis (1913-2007)

It is never too late to become what you might have been. Mary Ann Evans aka George Eliot (1819-1880)

I would also like to include some ideas from Kiera Sanders
1. Temptation - remove it from your house
2. Motivation - make a board to keep you going, watch hungry for change, write down the goals that can be sustained forever
3. Visualisation - going to the beach in a bikini, hiking with short shorts on, climbing Mount Kilimanjaro
4. Affirmation - look in the mirror & say "I love myself unconditionally from this day forwards, and I am a healthier person today that I was yesterday".
5. Progression - monitor the progress. Take measurements & keep on track with my goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment